Skip to content
Study Abroad
Study Abroad Health Insurance

All students participating in a Rutgers study abroad program through the Center for Global Education are enrolled in an HTH Worldwide health insurance plan which will provide service and protection in the event of illness or injury abroad.  Once accepted to a study abroad program, you will receive a description of HTH benefits and covered medical expenses. In addition, you will receive an insurance card prior to your departure. Please carry this insurance card with you at all times while you are overseas. The HTH study abroad policy has a lifetime maximum of $1,000,000 and a maximum of $100,000 per year and per injury/illness. There is no deductible and Pre-existing conditions are covered. The policy brochure can be accessed here.

Once enrolled with HTH, you will be assigned a personal ID number (Certificate Number). This number will be on your ID card and may also be accessed through your Advisor. Upon receipt of this number, please log on to the HTH Students website to register and have access to the HTH tools, services, and benefit information. You will need to enter your personal HTH Worldwide ID number to register at this website.

Parents can access information about HTH Worldwide by visiting the HTH Parents website.

If you are in need of non-emergency medical care overseas, you may contact HTH directly at the phone number or email address on your ID card for 24/7 service and assistance. Always contact HTH in the case of emergency or have someone else contact them on your behalf. If you are able to access the internet, please log on to the HTH website to locate a physician. HTH has already identified and certified physicians who can provide medical care in most of our study abroad destinations. There is no deductible and no co-payment for your medical care. However, you will need to pay for prescription medicine out-of-pocket. Collect all receipts, and submit them along with a completed HTH claim form directly to HTH upon your return to the U.S. If you are unable to receive care from an HTH provider and must see another provider, please contact HTH to see if the provider will accept payment from HTH. You may need to pay costs out-of-pocket. Collect receipts for every service provided and then submit the receipts and a completed HTH claim form directly to HTH after you return to the U.S. You are advised to bring a credit card with you for medical emergencies. Please read the policy information on the Basic Insurance below. You may contact Rutgers Study Abroad with any questions.

What to do In the event of a medical emergency

All Eligible Participants are entitled to Global Assistance Services while traveling outside of the United States. In the event of an emergency, they should go immediately to the nearest physician or hospital without delay and then contact HTH Worldwide. HTH Worldwide will then take the appropriate action to assist and monitor the medical care until the situation is resolved.

To contact HTH Worldwide in the event of an emergency, call 1.800.257.4823 or collect to +1.610.254.8771.

Claims Submission

Claims are to be submitted to:
HTH Worldwide
Attn: International Claims
One Radnor Corporate Center, Suite 100
Radnor, PA 19087, USA
See the website for claim forms and instructions on how to file.

HTH Website

Once you are registered under HTH, you will have access to a number of helpful resources available on the HTH website.  HTH provides you with profiles on major cities, health and safety news and translation guides (for medications and medical phrases). HTH also provides a search engine that helps you find the best doctor for you.  You will not be able to access all of the resources on HTH website until you have been accepted into one of our programs and have been registered under HTH.  If you are not yet registered under HTH and would like to learn more about HTH’s offerings, please visit the HTH Demo website.  If you are registered, you can log-in, by clicking here.  In addition,  HTH has a website of very useful information specifically for parents of study abroad students.